So one of the things I had the honor of being a part of is the temple game for SCI Companion software, entitled LOCKER GNOME REDUX.
Gumby, who I know from the Sierra Help Forums approached me about doing the narrator voice for Locker Gnome Redux. I was more than happy and honored to be a part of the SCI Companion Demo!
Here’s a little bit of what Gumby posted about the final result of the game:
For those not familiar, LockerGnome Quest is an SCI demo game created by Brian Provinciano, creator of SCI Studio. SCI Studio is a development environment to create your own SCI0 games (for free! Another, somewhat improved IDE called SCI Companion is another one). I’ve recently created an application which seamlessly allows for sounds external to the SCI virtual machine to be played back & have modified the LockerGnome Quest game to be the first SCI0 ‘talkie’.
LockerGnome Quest Redux
This is a modification of Brian Provinciano’s original demo game ‘LockerGnome Quest’, which can be found and downloaded here: http://www.sciprogramming.com/fangames
So what’s different?
Primarily, this demo has been modified to support external sound playback (sound playback not utilizing the SCI sound drivers), showcasing the capabilities of the ‘sciAudio’ add-on, now available for SCI developers to use in their own games.
New audio features:
- Rich music soundtrack
- Sound effects for in-game actions
- This demo has the distinction of being the first full SCI0 ‘talkie’! All lines have been narrated, enriching gameplay.
- Right-click ‘looking’: Using the right mouse button, everything on screen can be looked at
- Improved parsing: Over three times the original number of valid inputs for the user to use
- Full source code: See how sciAudio is ‘wired’ into the game!
- For installation & playing, please be sure to read the included readme.txt file.